Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Grand Hype

“I walked out of the Grand Canyon in 1983 and had an epiphany. It changed my life. I quit my job and moved to the southwest,” is how Richard, our rafting guide describes his experience. “It was a life-changing, spiritual experience.” The route we chose to enter the canyon, the South Kaibab trail took us down over one mile past rocks that are over one billion years old to the Colorado River. With these facts in mind, I prepared for an experience similar to his.

Most visitors, however, are not like Richard. Most are of the variety that ride the tour bus to the South Rim, look over the edge, snap a few pictures, and remark, “wow – it’s big.” Then again, the Cool Kids hiked down and back to celebrate their 50th birthdays.

We had been “training” for the plunge into the canyon since our trip began. As the day approached and all of the stories and warnings (bring enough water!) we’ve heard piled up in my head, I couldn’t help but be just as nervous as excited. Over 200 a year take an emergency $5,000 helicopter ride out of the canyon. Our course we made it without the chopper.

For me the Grand Canyon was more than just big but there was no epiphany. It was a completely unique experience for me. Some people, most in fact, spend about 45 minutes peering over the canyon walls, and some are changed forever. For me, the experience was comfortably in between extremes and completely awesome. I am glad I can say that for myself instead of hearing or reading about it. I will hike into the canyon again, and probably out on the same day. I want to see the North Rim. Who would like to join me?

Of course we came across the usual ridiculous characters. The physical therapist who detailed his multi-month training regimen while hailing the merits of the ski-pole-like walking sticks. As awkward and frankly annoying and ugly as he is, he was able to pick up a cougar down on the canyon floor. She was traveling with two friends that she ditched for the nerd's 'expertise.' His 300-lb dad was waiting for them at the top- all in all a pretty aggressive first date.


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey guys! I just got a chance to check out your blog! It seems like your trip has been great so far! When do you head for South America?

Whatdoyouhave? said...

How old was this physical therapist if the chick was a cougar?

Rachel said...

You're right Kearon, it's all relative. Cougar to us, Spring Chicken to him.