Thursday, November 27, 2008

I am thankful for...

...the people that love me.

I just retunred from two full days hiking in the Chilean forest alone. Pretty much my only contact was with an Israeli and a local Chilean, but only for a short time each. For the remainder, I was all alone with only my thoughts. I even slept in an empty house last night. It was quite the opposite of a typical Thanksgiving day. I wasn´t hungover either.

This morning I hiked to the top of Cerro San Cristobal in Parque Nacional Huerquehue just outside of Pucon, Chile. The sights are extrodinary, but what felt best about the two days was thinking about those who are special to me. I was able to find comfort by myself with my family and friends in my thoughts. Oddly enough, the time away has made me feel more close to so many. It´s easy to take these relationships for granted when they are convenient and easy. Now that they are neither convenient nor easy, these relationships feel especially important. All alone on a day we usually surround ourselves with loved ones wasn´t as bad as I thought it would be. And that is why I´m thankful. (end gushy part)

And for an update: Rach returned to Chicago last Tuesday for a wedding. Since, I traveled south to San Martin de los Andes and attempted to climb Volcan Lanin. The first day was great, but the weather prevented a summit attempt on day two. With two Dutch folks I met in San Martin, we traveled to Pucon, Chile. There we made it to the top of Volcan Villarica and slid down on our butts. That was awesome. Also, if you get the chance to try hydrospeed, I highly recommend it. Then, the two days in the national park. I head to Bariloche (Ar) tomorrow to meet Rach and our friend Louise for a month in Patagonia. When I get to a better computer, I can upload the amazing pictures of volcanoes, forests, mountains, sunsets, and Thomas. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Cubanlinks said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Emmer! Carrie and I are thinking about you, and I hope you're having a great time.

We're in DC right now where the triumvirate of my dad+Rosanne, my mom+Gene and Carrie's parents all had Thanksgiving dinner together. Everyone got along great, and we're just passed-out after all the food.

Unknown said...

We really missed you on TG. It was actually sorta hectic, but there was plenty of love and great food.

Really looking forward to visiting!